Table of Contents
Recently power wheel has become quite popular all over the world. Kids love to spend their free time with these electric cars. That’s why parents also choose them for their children. At some point, the charger may not work. So you need to find new ways so that your child does not miss the fun of the ride. Then how do you charge a power wheels battery?
There are many ways to charge a power wheel’s battery without a charger. In today’s article, we will discuss those important ways. So keep reading the rest of the article to know about the different processes of power wheel charging.
How Do You Charge a Power Wheels Battery
Many parents do not know any other way to charge the power wheel battery except the charger. How do I charge a power wheels battery – This guide is for those who are looking for the answer to this question. Let’s dive into the details.
By Car Battery
If you have a car you can easily charge your child’s power wheel. You don’t even need a charger. For this, you must have some necessary tools at hand. They are Alligator clamps, a screwdriver, a multi voltmeter, power plugs, and a compatible adapter. However, before charging through the car battery, you have to make sure that it has enough juice.
Most power wheel batteries are 8 or 12 volts. On the other hand, a car battery is capable of operating 15 volts. So car batteries are the easiest way to charge the power wheel. To charge the power wheel you need to use Alligator clamps. Now the process of charging the power wheel through the car battery is mentioned below.
- Begin with the power wheel connecting the positive terminal of the battery to the positive terminal of the car battery.
- Similarly, repeat the previous process for the negative terminal to complete the circuit.
- Now attach the pin of the voltmeter to the battery of the power wheel and see if the current is flowing optimally.
- If you see the current meter moving, you can be sure that the current is flowing from the car battery to the power wheel battery.
- Next, you need to check the voltage every hour to avoid overcharging. Typically, when a 12-volt battery is fully charged, the voltage on the voltmeter shows high. Then unplug the battery’s connection.
By a Direct Plug
Another effective way to charge the power wheel’s battery is by connecting it directly to the electric power port. So first you need to select a suitable electric point location. This place must not be high traffic or access to your child. However, flat surfaces such as countertops would be better. Now you need to plug the alligator clamps with the power cord.
Now connect the positive alligator clamps to the positive terminal of the battery. Similarly, repeat the same process in case of a negative terminal. Then check whether the current is active or flowing with the help of a voltmeter. The main reason for using a voltmeter is to avoid incidents like overcharging or deep charging. When the power wheel’s battery is fully charged, simply disconnect the connection. At this time first, disconnect the negative joint or terminal and then the positive joint.
Since this method involves direct PowerPoint, the battery charges very quickly. Conversely, there is a strong possibility of battery overcharging. So you have to keep an eye on the power wheel’s battery while charging.
With a Portable Battery Jump Starter
Portable Battery Jump Starter refers to those jump start cars which have a low charge in the cold season. You can choose those jump starters as a means to charge the power wheel battery. Especially if your child’s electric car charger is broken. Because most jump starters are portable. They also come with alligator clamps that allow toy cars to be charged in any situation.
However, if you want to use it continuously, you have to charge the jump starter. There are some jump starters that make the pack a punch. Typically, they can charge a 6-volt, 12-volt power wheel battery. So for kids’ outdoor riding, it would be wise to carry a portable jump starter that will provide extra charge.
Through Solar Panels
Solar panel technology has taken the need for electricity a long way. There are currently some solar panels that allow you to charge the power wheel. Most panels come with an electrical converter that makes it easy to insert a plug. In addition, there are separate ports for charging electric devices.
Solar power has the facility to plug directly into the electric port. You just connect the alligator clamps directly to the electric port. Then test the current flowing with a voltmeter as in the previous process. If the current flows properly then you will understand that the charge has started. During this time, check the battery health frequently to avoid overcharging.
Tips While Charging a Power Wheel Battery
Follow some precautions when using the alternative charging method. This will protect your baby’s power wheel from damage. They are as follows:
- When the battery shows signs of degradation or cracks, refrain from charging. Because in this case, if you charge the battery, it is more likely to explode.
- Always disconnect the negative terminal before the positive one. This protects the battery and keeps it free from a power surge that may explode the battery.
- Never leave the battery in a charging condition. Monitor for a while to avoid overcharging. Especially if left on the charger overnight, the power wheel battery will be damaged quickly.
- Never charge too long or consistently in an alternative way. There is a strong possibility that this will reduce the battery life.
- Last but not the least, do not charge the power wheel’s battery from a high voltage electric source. This is because if the voltage varies, it will reduce the charging capacity of the battery.
There is no such thing as a charger to always charge the power wheel. If necessary, sometimes a variety of alternative methods can be applied. Above, some of these alternative charging techniques are discussed in detail. You can follow them.